John Dimmer Visit

Our fourth guest speaker was Mr. Fry's good friend John Dimmer. Mr. Dimmer's talk was probably the most beneficial talk with regards to our business plan as his talk revolved around finances and investing. He talked about how important it was to learn about these topics, at least on a basic level.

One of the things that Mr. Dimmer brought up that I found very interesting was the discussion between going into business with friends/family vs. going into business with strangers. Mr. Dimmer's viewpoint was that going into business with friends & family was better than going into business with a stranger. I guess that makes sense, in most cases you know your family & friends better than strangers and you should go into business with someone you know well. On the flip side I can see the negatives with investing and going into business with friends and family.

Another thing that stood out to me about Mr. Dimmer's talk was how he tried retirement after the sale of Free Range Media. He was pretty young as far as retirement age goes, but he said he found it boring. I guess the reason this stood out to me was how most people start having a goal of working until they can live without working, but they realize that life becomes boring. I could even relate to it as a student. During summer quarters at my time at UWT, I would take the entire summer quarter off and get bored and even find myself looking forward to school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brian Forth

What I Expect